America Is Filled With Kryptonite. Is It Too Late To Change The Trajectory?
There is a form of Kryptonite running rampant in our country. It’s called indifference and we’ve given it lots of territory. This is a life-sucking hope-draining trajectory for our entire nation unless we do something about it.
When Brandon Stanton, Humans Of New York Author and Photographer, wrote an open letter to Donald Trump, he shared his concern of just how indifferent Trump has become, and how it will affect America if he is elected president. After reading it, I began a speaking campaign to change the trajectory of our country.
Here is an excerpt from his letter.
“I’ve watched you retweet racist images. I’ve watched you retweet racist lies. I’ve watched you take 48 hours to disavow white supremacy. I’ve watched you joyfully encourage violence, and promise to ‘pay the legal fees’ of those who commit violence on your behalf. I’ve watched you advocate the use of torture and the murder of terrorists’ families. I’ve watched you gleefully tell stories of executing Muslims with bullets dipped in pig blood. I’ve watched you compare refugees to ‘snakes,’ and claim that ‘Islam hates us.’
I am a journalist, Mr. Trump. And over the last two years I have conducted extensive interviews with hundreds of Muslims, chosen at random, on the streets of Iran, Iraq, and Pakistan. I’ve also interviewed hundreds of Syrian and Iraqi refugees across seven different countries. And I can confirm— the hateful one is you.”
Where Does Indifference Come From?
Simply put, hurting people hurt other people. One of two things happens when someone even accidentally hurts another person.
- They cognitively recognize they’ve hurt someone and feel remorse
- or they shut off their feelings and become bitter, uncaring and indifferent
Numbness becomes part of the experience. It becomes comfortable after a while, like a trusted friend. Numbness turns into indifference. If a person remains too long with the feeling of indifference, they start attracting others who also welcome it. Gang members, for instance, are gang members because they each suffered in some way. Each member has made the subconscious decision to remain indifferent so they can “kick ass” together and take out their aggression on others to get even with the world.
4 Sure Ways To Prevent Indifference In Your Home
There are several ways you can remove indifference in your home, and believe me, it seeps its way in to EVERY home at one time or another but you may not recognize it. Keep reading and you’ll understand what it looks like, but know that removing this Kryptonite will take a strong backbone.
2. Socially connect. According to the Statistic Brain Research Institute, social media is used up to 67% to stay in touch with family and friends. While one might think America is in the lead for all countries to stay in touch, we’re actually ranked 10th while Argentina is #1. The only point here is that the stronger indifference gets, the less we’ll stay socially connected. Instead of criticizing the idea of social media, and those who use it, try staying connected to those important to you by using it in healthy ways. Invite friends to dinner, create a family reunion and PM everyone about it, get your kids to teach you what their world looks like so you stay connected. Go to coffee and meet someone new. BE SOCIAL.
3. Emotionally connect. Nothing says “I love you” like being emotionally connected. Sitting knee to knee, looking eye to eye, listening intentionally, caring about what the other person is saying, no matter how old they are or who it is, everyone likes to feel valued. Turning off the distractions and staying emotionally present is the greatest thing we can do for one another. These moments are few in a hurried world, but extremely valuable to every single human being. Being emotionally connected says, “You’re important and valuable.”
4. Take personal responsibility. I am DONE waiting for others to change. If my desire is to see a brighter tomorrow, Lord willing, then I have to choose what my tomorrow is going to look like. Who am I going to be when I wake up in the morning? I know what it looks like to have a clear vision for a loving home environment, and though this won’t be easy, I want invite you to make a change. When you inspire and challenge people to be more open, willing and honest you CAN have a brighter future. This MUST start with you, otherwise, you’ll continue to do what you’ve always done while getting what you’ve always got. Is that good enough, or do you want change?
Time for change
Kryptonite has ruled America long enough. It’s time for a change. Since the word, “love”, is very subjective, (because we all follow different moral codes of conduct) and there are now hundreds of languages and religions around the US, we’ll also find many variations of love. Its important to UNITE with those who believe in love, no matter their definition. Here is an example: In the beginning of our 33 years of marriage, I did as my mom did and remained submissive to my husband’s unloving ways. Our home environment was anything BUT loving (according to my moral compass), but he was fine with the way things were. I finally sat down with pen in hand one day and decided what I wanted. For an hour I only thought of what love looked from deep down inside my spirit. When it was all written down some of it looked like this.
- High sense of integrity
- To maintain internal peace even when life feels chaotic
- Joy no matter what the external circumstance looks like
- A husband who has my back and supports the dreams we share
- To have physical, mental, emotional and financial health
- To have a love for God, ourselves and our children that never ends
That list was just the beginning. I broke down each statement into; “Who, what, when, where and why” questions. What I found was a woman of courage who had been hiding underneath someone else’s control. A bold and inspiring woman who was being called to serve others on a scale I’d never imagined before. Someone who would no longer tolerate abuse, neglect, lust, greed or any other kind of Kryptonite to enter our home.
After years of choosing this kind of environment over the one we had, I chose to take a HUGE leap of faith and begin the work to get rid of indifference. It was painful for many years, but eventually my husband and I both changed. We worked together to emotionally connect, to learn, share and teach in ways I never imagined possible. Our home environment is often blissful. I’d never say perfect, since we’re human and have our moments like everyone else, but its definitely blissful at times. We’ve been married for over 33 years and I can’t tell you how wonderful it is that indifference is finally gone.
There is so much more to share, and whenever I speak it inspires others to grow and change, so CONTACT ME HERE if you want me to come to your area to teach you how to remove indifference and emotionally connect to those you love. We can do it in small groups or large audiences. I’d love to email you a personal copy of, Don’t Let Kryptonite Weaken Your Marriage if you’re interested. Just grab a copy of the Manifesto here.
Feel free to share this information so we can keep Krytonite out of our homes, and let me know what you think about the above suggestions.
Always Love! Kellie